New Wildflower and Native Plant Group Springs Up
Do you have a long-abiding love of wildflowers or are you interested in learning more about using native plants in your landscape but don’t know the difference between a native and a weed? Regardless of your knowledge base, you are welcomed to join the newly-formed Wildflower and Native Plant Group.
The first meeting will be held at the Greenlife Grocery (301 Manufacturer’s Road) upstairs cafe area on Tuesday, April 13 at noon. If it’s a nice day, we’ll meet outside. The meeting will include an informational session on rescuing native plants at construction sites and an overview of “Hearts-a-bustin’” (Euonymus Americanus). Future meetings are tentatively scheduled for the first Monday of the month, with May 3 scheduled for the next meeting. The location of the May meeting will be announced at a later date.
Meetings will focus on education and identification of wildflowers and native plants. Some initial ideas for group activities include:
- Demonstration garden using native plants, in collaboration with the City of Chattanooga
- Plant natives in drainage areas of subdivisions (including rain gardens)
- Present a garden tour of gardens using native plants
- Plant swaps
- Buy native plants wholesale, or get discounts at selected nurseries
- Outings to wildflower walks, native plant nurseries, gardens, hikes
Please use the form below to contact us.